Monday 9 February 2015

Week 7

Bouchra Jarrar's Haute couture Spring 15 collection inspires me a lot because of the extreme contrast between the weight and density of the fabrics. I would like to recreate the delicate effect into knitting.  I will use the chunkiest yarn in wool on the chunky domestic machine.


I am pleased with the structural contrast on this Sample, the combination of the holding technique with lace holes and ladders give a good weighty hang to the fabric. This could be used as an edge to a garment. To improve this sample I would change the yarn colour of the variable wool yarn. I do however think that the contrast of the yarns finish qualities gives the sample a depth. I think even the wool chunky knitted part of this sample looks delicate because of the combination of the variable yarn and the holes in the technique.



The weight and texture of the yarn really changes the effect of  knitting technique that I've used. On the chunky machine I changed the scale of the hold loops that I had used in a sample previously. The textured wool that I used has similar qualities to the brain coral that I used as my starting stimulus. Also when it is knitted, the structures it creates are reminiscent of the bubble formations that I edited. The hold bumps give the effect of loose and tight structures, I feel it works well cast on with the chunky yarn because the darker yarn and technique shadow the chunky technique beneath it. I think that the undyed wool would freshen up the sample if it was dyed a teal colour.  







No comments:

Post a Comment