Sunday 22 February 2015

McQueen suptersitions Yarn Qualities


My colour palette has been limited to monochrome because of my theme of magpies. I wanted to find a colour that could break up the black. I looked at images of magpies wings which I did colour studies from. I decided that a teal would give a small point of interest if it could be placed in the samples discretely in a mohair or chenille because of their feather like features. The chenille has a subtle shine and the mohair yarn could blend with the yarns around it.


Symmetry is a key trait of Alexander McQueen designs. I decided to manipulate my drawings of Photoshop. I repeated and reflected the drawings and used them as silhouettes which helped me to identify the negative space shapes. I created a range of compositions that I later made a punch card from. 

I am pleased with the effect of the punch card design. I used a Mohair yarn with a fine cotton, both in black. The fine yarn showed the mohair floats behind it which gave a similar depth to the layered drawings I have done. This lace quality is enhanced and lifted with the introduction of teal mohair. 
The punch card design is an abstract from the negative space from one of my drawings. Alexander McQueen used jaquard designs that give a more illustrated design,  however I don't have the facilities to do that so I thought I would focus on the symmetry in the design.
This sample is based on the PhotoShop edit of the orginal shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment