Thursday 20 November 2014

Week Two

My concept of layers within urban Tarmac has a limited range of ideas that could fuel a whole project so I have expanded on to looking at the grids and grates on the roads. I researched the Boyle family, their zoomed in photographs of road markings that emphasise mondain surface textures make interesting compositions that include photos of geometric and organic shapes. The drawing I have made based on the Boyle Family research have a payed down paint surface with geometric shapes layered over it. 

BOYLE FAMILY ART WORK

I decided to created rubbings from the grids and overlaid the rubbings which was a helpful practice to refocus on composition awareness. I experimented with using the pin tuck foot to draw with the sewing machine. I then painted over the embroidery to highlight the raised drawings. I did this because I had been placing random grounds down on my paper to create a textured surface to work onto. The sewing machine method meant that I could pick up elements of the composition that interested me the most.  From looking at the grids I realised that there is another concept developing in my visuals which is 'organic and structure'. This became apparent because the majority of the drawing and photographs have a distinct contrast between the organic and structure. I realise now that I need to broaden my visual research and branch away from just looking at the pavements. 

 I based my colour palette on the photo shop edited images. I wanted the mondain subjects to look lively and more interesting than they usually appear. 


No comments:

Post a Comment