Thursday 20 November 2014

Week Five

This week I decided that I wanted to focus solely on the structure of my knitting. I removed all the colours that where detracting from the focus of the structure and used 4 ply wool yarn because of its heavy but smooth in texture; which I feel resembles structures best. I combined partial knit with hooking up so that the rolls that the hook up create would make more of a secure structure to the knit. 
I have become interested in how the partial knit affects the structural affect of the knitting. I found that when the knit was knitted in columns then attached together with a hooking up roll the columns adopt a different formation that again reflects a more bold structure. I am considering only lightly steaming these samples so that I don't detract from the affect.
 
 
I have looked at furniture designers for inspiration as to how structures can be used as the main design instead of just purposeful. 'Heaven' by Jean Maries Massaud Emu, is a steel framed table that is composed of the same diamond shapes just in different proportions. I have varied the scale of my collums to create more depth within my knitted structures. I feel that with different material choices for example man made materials that hold a shape, I could create large scale frames to be used in a furniture design context.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I experimented further by knitting the same structure on hold to see the affect the longer knitted columns had on the shorter pieces. The loops that these created gave a more fluid look to the sample which I feel relates to some of my looser drawings. 
 
 
 
I looked at Antoni Gaudì's architecture because I felt that the loopy formations in my samples were mildly similar to some of his structures. His architectural structures resemble the skeletal form which could be an interesting way of creating patterns from this subject. Perhaps the pillars and posts that hold a building together are a virtual skeleton. The loops in my knit that are suppressed and bond down resemble the vertebrae of a spine. 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment