Thursday 20 November 2014

Week one

I have chosen the 'Urban influences' brief to base my visual research on. My concept is to focus on the pavement and the roads. I am going to explore the layers of patchy Tamarac with exposed cobbles relieved from the bottom layer. I also want to look and the cracked road paint/ signs and grates that are placed around theses things. I have started my drawings and paintings with a large element of texture that I have created by printing painted surfaces onto the grounds of my drawing before I start. 


Negative points about starting in this way are that some of my drawings and background dominated which makes them appear flat with no compositional depth. To retract from that I have researched Barbara Rae's style of painting where she introduces collage into her vibrant paintings. I looked at the way she composes her paintings in colour proportions and texture proportions. The paintings I had started are in my A4 sketch book which limited the gestural style that I was aiming to achieve. So I have expanded to a larger sketchbook and onto paper. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment