Sunday 23 November 2014

Evaluation

My starting point for this brief was 'Urban influences'; the visual research if gathered focused on the zoomed in textures of road surfaces and grates. The visuals I had gathered were limiting the possibilities for creating a body of diverse work. I found my concept in some of the drawings of grids and developed the 'Structured and Organic' concept into broadening out into looking at pattern formations in architecture. Photography and photoShop have been my main source of visual research because I was interested in the layering and revealing effects. These tools also allowed me to distort and create patterns within the pictures of buildings. I used these images as my main colour palette source.  



Throughout this project I struggled with yarn choices and a colour theme. If I wasn't the texture it was getting proportions of colours right. It became an obstacle with my creative processes which was holding up the amount of samples I was producing. I removed the colours that were becoming a problem and concentrated on reflecting my concept of distorted patterns through my knitting technique with out the distraction of garish colours. I was then able to create a range of structures based on the architectural research I had done. 


The context I would most like my work to fit into is interiors. I would like my knitting samples to be a starting point for creating furniture like statement piece chairs. However for this project the yarns I have worked with fit into a more fashion based context. I would like to develop my work to further in man made materials and bendable metals to make my collection more viable for a furniture design context. I also need to work on a much larger scale to create an idea of how a knitted structure would translate into furniture design because the scale of the structure would affect the design of the knitting.

Claire Anne O'Brien's knitted furniture is my inspiration for large scale knitting however I would consider using heavy duty plastics and metal to create modern fluid looking structures in furniture a like the designs V Dekka and Jean Marie Massaud's furniture. I would need to collaborate with people from different genres of design, however this is where I imagine my designs being developed for in the future.

V Dekka Table



My concept progressed with my project to broaden the creative outcomes. My concept was clearly 'structured and organic' when I started my visual research but then progressed to being 'distorted patterns' when I translated these drawing into knitting. I decided that combining both concepts towards the end of the project would be interesting especially affect the influence of Antoni Gaudì's architecture, which introduced the fluid looser style of my drawings into my knitting which created a clear contrast of 'structured and Organic' in the samples. 


No comments:

Post a Comment