Sunday 23 November 2014

Week Six


Now that I had found a collection of yarns that conveyed a sturdy knit structure, I decided to incorporate some of the yarns that I had discarded in the past, due to the mottled affect they created when combined without smooth yarns.  I used moments of theses yarns in my structures to make the samples less flat and to build a better correspondence between the yarns and my drawings. I wanted to focus on some of the transparent qualities that my drawings and photographs have. These qualities give a subtle layered affect with small moments of the textured yarns give. Also the textured yarns contrast the heavy wool yarns I've used, like the contrast in line qualities in my drawings. 

 




I utilised the punchcard design by combining it with the bond down loops that the partial knit technique created. I wanted to elaborate on the distorted pattern concept; the punchcard design links well with the geometric structures I had plain knitted so combining the techniques created a three dimensional interpretation of the pattern. The effect of this relates well too some of the loose qualities I show in my drawing.
In the same sample I rotated the knit so that both the back and front sides of the punch card are visible. I found that the loose lines the build up the pattern are a reference to my build up line composition drawings. This also changes the pattern and makes it seem as though the pattern is unraveling away. I like the organic nature to this sample. Though I feel the punchcard would translate strongly in the smooth yarns and the right way up to show its graphical qualities.

I introduced a tape yarn into my collection because it a sturdyer yarn that holds its linear shape well. This yarn dominated the pattern on the back of the punchcard which really exhibited the pattern clearly on that side. In contrast it looked subtle on the front. I mixed the composition around so that there is a moment of the reverse on the right side of the sample.

No comments:

Post a Comment