Thursday 20 February 2014

PE Task 2

For the sampling unit project 'Data' I looked across a variety of genres of art. I decided that advertisement is a form of data that we are all more familiar with than what we would presume. For my project I wanted to focus on cropped images of advertisements for example font and colours to translate the advertisement into my project. I enjoyed collecting and creating my visual research to create constructed fabric samples. I found the Procien dye with bleach to be the most valuable drawing technique because it provided me with a source of colour and compositions that fed the ideas for the majority of the project. 


 Although I don't find Sir Peter Blake's work visually appealing I do feel that without his influences my Advertising concept could have being differently motivated and executed. Through the influence of his work I decided to focus on the font on the match boxes. This affected the majority of my compositions because I focused on zoomed in parts of advertisements typography.

I am fond of interior design so I want to create a pattern in construct that could be applied across upholstery fabrics, rugs, wallpaper and decorative accessories. I feel once I had found good colour proportions through experimenting with yarn wrappings and drawings. I feel that Margo Selby's work has been influential because of her use of pattern and tonal colour palette. 



My Weave design


Margo Selby interior accessoize



I looked at architecture photography for shape and form inspiration. I found the work of the Spanish architect Ricardo Bofill I was interested in the way it related with some patterns I had already started on the knit punch cards. I don't feel that my designs could work well for architecture design but I do however think that the graphic natural of this geometric building communicates interesting compositions for my pattern based work. The relation between his building and my samples is the introduction of a vibrant contrasting colour. This work encouraged me to me more experimental on the the knitting machine. I have found that the partail knit and punch card setting work well for creating geometric shapes in my samples. 






















The influence I am most enthusiastic about is Claire Anne Obrien I am interested in her structural knit collection for interior design. I can visualise some chunky knitwear being used as a starting point for injection moulded plastic seating amongst other things. The could also be wool versions and interior accessories to match. I feel that my sample could make and textural knitted rug. 
I have enjoyed knitting my knit because it made the samples more structural and tactile as they hold the shape I bend them into. This is why I feel that they themselves could be interesting furniture designs. 





Claire Anne Obrien


No comments:

Post a Comment