Wednesday 20 November 2013

Evaluation

The chance card drawings influenced my practice through the direction it sent me on originally. The cards made me depict the subject as shapes and marks rather than the literal thing it was. I found that this moved my drawings away from realist representations and drove me to explore a range of weights of marks and line also shapes, that translated well into embroidery.

One of my earlier chance card drawings influenced my embroidery samples. I found that my drawing are loose and loopy which translated well on the Cornely machine because of the circular motions that machine achieves. I started to deconstruct the drawing of the whisk into positive and negative shape. This help me to clearly select shape that would make good compositions without the detail of the drawing.

During the 'Origins' project I have found that deconstructing my subject can influence a range of processes and can make interesting shapes and compositions. I have discovered that I create patterns. Though general practice and tasks I have completed I have learnt that readily patterned material doesn't work well with my hand print. My readily patterned samples that I have worked over are battling between the ready pattern and my embroidery patterns.

I have really enjoyed embroidery. I started with a very basic knowledge of skills so I have gained a lot of new ones. I have learned that my stronger samples have an even balance of both hand embroidery and machine. This is because of the different variations that show through in the marks.

I found that I was over ambitious when I started my samples. Some of the techniques need a lot of time spending on them to be intricately done. This meant that I hadn't set my self time that was realistic to get all of the samples done to a similar quality.




No comments:

Post a Comment