Monday 27 April 2015

Tartan

From the research into the punk movement I have found out that the punks tended to manipulate traditional British things in a controversial way. The royal Stewart tartan was a popular tartan that the punks would introduce into the clothing.

In the history of tartan the ‘Dress Act of 1746’ wanted to ban tartan in Scotland to prevent warrior clans. When the law was lifted in 1782 tartan was no longer ordinary highland dress.
The controversy of the tartan in Scotland could have been the appeal to the punk fashion movement.

I have decided to knit some tartan designs in no traditional colours in the design. I have taken colour inspiration from Jamie Reid’s Sex pistols album cover designs.


Working in a team this week has adapted my style as a knitter. This is because I was keen for my group to help me to select yarns and colours to knit with. This has challenged my knitting ability because some of the weights of yarns were out of my comfort zone. I have found this useful because I wouldn’t have pushed myself without my team’s encouragement. I have also found the feed back from my group very helpful and inspiring because we negotiated design ideas and improvements between ourselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment